Associate, US Fund
Salary is for candidates based in the New York City Metropolitan area. Outside of the NYC metro, we differentiate salaries based on location.
It is customary for entry-level candidates to join Women’s World Banking at the lower half of the range to leave room for candidates to grow, expand, and develop in the role. It is common for starting salaries to fall in the mid-point of the range for more experienced candidates. We negotiate actual salaries with final candidates based on their exact location, experience in similar roles, and expertise related to the qualifications.
The US Fund of WWB Asset Management (WAM) is seeking an experienced, highly motivated private equity Associate with an interest in investing in businesses with solutions that improve women’s economic empowerment in the US. The Associate will work with the team in all aspects of the firm’s investment process including thesis development, deal sourcing, diligence, structuring, financing, negotiation, and documentation as well as active portfolio management. This is a unique career-track opportunity for an individual interested in making a difference through successful investments. The position is based in Boston (or if other location, to be discussed) and reports to the Managing Partner and Chief Investment Officer of the US Fund.
About the US Fund at WAM
Headquartered in New York City, WAM, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Women’s World Banking, Inc., is an impact investor dedicated to women’s economic empowerment. WAM currently manages two emerging market funds and is launching a US Fund strategy. The US Fund invests in companies that help improve women’s lives by either creating economic opportunities or alleviating hurdles that hold women back from realizing their economic potential. The US Fund has specific investment themes that fall within the business services, financial services, technology, consumer, and healthcare industry groups. As a value-added investor, the US Fund supports its portfolio companies through its proprietary AMPLIFY value creation model by leveraging the 80+ person Women’s World Banking team. The US Fund targets competitive financial returns, while creating value for investors, customers, and employees and advancing the social goal of women’s economic empowerment.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop investment thesis with team and perform market mapping to identify deal opportunities
- Network with intermediaries to generate new deal sources and investment opportunities
- Lead and coordinate acquisition diligence processes
- Lead acquisition financing processes
- Lead preparation of investment and financing memos and IC presentations
- Analyze target company financial statements
- Construct financial forecast models
- Assess industry dynamics, competitive landscape, and value proposition
- Develop excellent relationships and work collaboratively with management teams to drive value creation, including through Amplify
- Report financial and social performance of portfolio companies
- Require pre-MBA private equity experience (preferred) or investment banking (M&A or leveraged finance) experience. Bachelor’s degree required with strong academic record
- Strong business fundamentals and judgement
- Excellent financial modeling and business analysis capabilities. Strong financial analytical capability, knowledge of senior and subordinated debt process and financing parameters. Keen attention to detail
- Strong sense of personal responsibility and accountability and able to work independently and enjoys being part of a team
- Resourceful and enjoys overcoming obstacles / solving problems, and setting new ways forward
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Excited about collaboration with domain experts in other functional or subject areas internally, externally and with portfolio companies to optimize outcomes
- Able to efficiently digest large amounts of information, identify key issues, and apply strategic and analytical thinking to decision-making with imperfect information
- Demonstrated ability to effectively convey information clearly and appropriately and be persuasive with all levels in an organization and with external stakeholders through verbal and written communication
- Self-motivated and self-directed with a positive attitude. Thrives in an entrepreneurial environment and enjoys managing multiple projects. Strong work ethic and enthusiasm appropriate for a small, fast-paced team
- Passion for women’s empowerment. Excitement about innovative market approaches to social outcomes creating equity upside opportunity
Measure of Success
Success within 90 Days:
- Embrace Women's World Banking's and WAM's core values and desired behaviors
- Deep dive into market mapping and identify companies in our investment focus areas
- Identify relevant industry conferences
- Develop positive working relationships and identify synergies with the broader organization through AMPLIFY or other areas
- Develop familiarity with the internal organization, policies, and procedures
We offer comprehensive benefits including:
- Competitive salary & top tier benefits
- 15+ paid time off days in addition to paid sick days and holidays
- Company closes for two paid Mental Health and Rejuvenation Weeks per year (July & December)
- 401(k) with employer match / pension contributions where applicable
- Company paid professional development opportunities
- Flexible work options available, including work from home options (outside of fieldwork)
About Women's World Banking
We believe in being a force for the greater good, devoted to accelerating and growing the financial inclusion of women. With rapidly changing markets, influenced by technology and social behavioral expectations, we are embarking on a new chapter to transform the way we design and implement solutions.
For over 40 years, Women’s World Banking has partnered with financial institutions, showing them the benefit of investing in women as customers. We equip these institutions with in-depth research and data driven insights to develop financial products and educational programs. While our clients are financial service providers, our mission is to engage consumers – women who are marginalized by financial systems.
Women’s World Banking and WWB Asset Management is an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status or any other category protected by federal, state or local law.