The US Fund of WWB Asset Management (WAM) is seeking an experienced, highly motivated Principal with strong private equity experience and an interest in investing in businesses with innovative solutions that enable women’s economic empowerment in the US. Require track record of successful minority or majority equity deals including sourcing, structuring, negotiating, transacting, and portfolio management. The Principal will be responsible for all aspects of the investment process. The position is based in Boston (or if other location, to be discussed) and reports directly to the Managing Partner and Chief Investment Officer of the US Fund.
About the US Fund at WAM
Headquartered in New York City, WAM, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Women’s World Banking, Inc., is an impact investor dedicated to women’s economic empowerment. WAM currently manages two emerging market funds and is launching a US Fund strategy. The US Fund invests in companies that help improve women’s lives by either creating economic opportunities or alleviating pain points that hinder women from realizing their economic potential. The US Fund has specific investment themes that fall within the business services, financial services, technology, consumer, and healthcare industry groups. As a value-added investor, the US Fund supports its portfolio companies through its proprietary AMPLIFY value creation model by leveraging the 90+ person Women’s World Banking team. The US Fund targets competitive financial returns, while creating value for customers, employees, investors and advancing the social goal of women’s economic empowerment.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Be a creative thought partner to the Managing Partner & Chief Investment Officer on strategy, fundraising, business development, deal execution, and portfolio management
- Support fundraising activities including preparation of materials, LP diligence, coordination of advisors, and related activities
- Source investment opportunities from the deal community relevant to the four investment themes. Develop relevant banker, intermediary, and direct company relationships
- Take a leadership role as deal quarterback. Lead and take ownership of business and financial due diligence of investment opportunities. Coordinate third party advisors and financing partners. Negotiate transaction documents and close deals
- Prepare, present, and defend investment opportunities to Investment Committee
- Develop effective working relationships with portfolio company management teams to execute on mutual enterprise and social value creation goals
- Advocate for and manage delivery of AMPLIFY value creation model by liaising with the Women’s World Banking team and managing operating advisors or consultants
- Report financial and social performance of portfolio companies
- 5-7 years’ private equity experience (growth equity to buyout stage) in all aspects of investing including sourcing, screening, diligence, negotiation/documentation, portfolio management, and exit. Track record of closed deals required. Experience with minority deals and fundraising a plus
- Bachelor’s degree required. Pre MBA buyside experience and MBA preferred
- Demonstrated leadership skills, setting vision for others, owning and implementing a strategic agenda, organizing others toward a common goal, overcoming obstacles / solving problems, and setting new ways forward
- Results-driven and demonstrates excellent business judgment. Ability to efficiently digest large amounts of information, identify key issues, and apply strategic and analytical thinking to decision-making with imperfect information
- Demonstrated ability to effectively convey information clearly and appropriately and be persuasive with all levels in an organization and with external stakeholders through verbal and written communication
- Self-motivated and self-directed with a positive attitude. Thrives in an entrepreneurial environment and enjoys managing multiple projects. Strong work ethic and enthusiasm appropriate for a small, fast-paced team
- Excellent financial modeling and business analysis capabilities and ability to provide analytical oversight to deal team. Keen attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills and enjoys teamwork. Excited about collaboration with domain experts in other functional or subject areas internally, externally and with portfolio companies to optimize outcomes
- Passion for women’s empowerment. Excitement about innovative market approaches to social outcomes creating equity upside opportunity
Measure of Success
Success within 90 Days
- Embrace Women’s World Banking’s and WAM’s core values and desired behaviors
- Assume full responsibilities of the position, particularly in fundraising and sourcing
- Bring awareness to banker/intermediary/deal source community about our investment themes. Bring in at least five relevant new deal opportunities
- Develop positive working relationships and identify synergies with the broader organization through AMPLIFY or other areas
- Develop familiarity with the internal organization, policies, and procedures
We offer comprehensive benefits including:
- Competitive salary & top tier benefits
- 15+ paid time off days in addition to paid sick days and holidays
- Company closes for two paid Mental Health and Rejuvenation Weeks per year (July & December)
- 401(k) with employer match / pension contributions where applicable
- Company paid professional development opportunities
- Flexible work options available, including work from home options (outside of fieldwork)
About Women's World Banking
We believe in being a force for the greater good, devoted to accelerating and growing the financial inclusion of women. With rapidly changing markets, influenced by technology and social behavioral expectations, we are embarking on a new chapter to transform the way we design and implement solutions.
For over 40 years, Women’s World Banking has partnered with financial institutions, showing them the benefit of investing in women as customers. We equip these institutions with in-depth research and data driven insights to develop financial products and educational programs. While our clients are financial service providers, our mission is to engage consumers – women who are marginalized by financial systems.
Women’s World Banking and WWB Asset Management is an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status or any other category protected by federal, state or local law.