- About Us
- Research & Insights
- Product Innovation
- Leadership and Diversity
- Our Impact
- Take Action
Design Specialist, India
Title: Design Specialist
Reports to: Director of Design and Innovation
Industry: Banking, Financial Services
Employment Type: Full-time
Location: Mumbai or Bangalore, India
Start Date: Immediate
Women’s World Banking is seeking an innovative, energetic, and multifaceted design strategist, with a strong applied qualitative research background, to lead the development of financial solutions designs, contribute to our ideation, prototyping and user testing toolkit, and further establish Women’s World Banking as a thought leader and industry expert in designing innovative financial solutions for low-income women in emerging markets.
You should apply to this position if:
- You are driven to develop a deep understanding of customers and create compelling customer narratives utilizing mixed-methods research that combines qualitative and quantitative findings;
- You take initiative to understand the perspective of diverse stakeholders and make strategic recommendations based on what is good for the projects, teams and organizations you work with;
- You find working on complex and challenging problems invigorating;
- You thrive in ambiguity;
- You are driven to find solutions to “making it work”;
- You are excited by understanding, learning and iterating on new methodologies;
- You have a “yes and” mindset when it comes to teamwork and leadership.
- You are interested in making business and social impact and are passionate about serving low-income women
The Design Specialist will be responsible for driving design throughout the organization – with a main focus on our solutions’ development projects. S/he will also develop and lead design and innovation workshops for partners, network members and leaders in the finance industry, as well as contribute to internal-facing initiatives. S/he will use their design expertise to help shape the scope of our engagements, lead design projects end-to-end and develop the design capabilities of our broader team.
The ideal candidate will be able to think strategically, and use a spectrum of research and design methodologies to develop highly effective design solutions to drive impact and scale. S/he will represent Women’s World Banking in relevant conferences and speaking engagements to share customer and design insights, thereby influencing the dialogue around the role of women-centered design in financial inclusion.
The successful candidate will:
- Be a mission-aligned self-starter who thrives in fast-paced, dynamic, multi-cultural environments;
- Engage in strategic and creative problem solving;
- Lead design engagements from customer behavioral lens – from customer research to ideation, prototyping, and user testing; Be able to quickly identify behavioral change levers;
- Utilize best practices in behavioral and inclusive design;
- Seamlessly integrate qualitative and quantitative research findings in order to tell a compelling narrative about customer behavior;
- Incorporate understanding of strategic business needs in the design process;
- Effectively facilitate behavioral research and design workshops and trainings;
- Seamlessly integrate with functional area teams to deliver effective women-centered design solutions;
- Have an empathy-first mindset in his/her design approach;
- Share knowledge and develop the design and innovation capabilities of the team.
- Project management with cross-functional teams and strategic partnerships;
- In-depth knowledge of research methodologies, qualitative and quantitative data analysis and statistics;
- Experience in translating complex concepts and research findings into actionable insights, compelling customer narratives, and accessible, well-written reports and presentations;
- Working knowledge of behavioral science
- Culturally sophisticated interpersonal skills;
- Strong communication skills with internal and external stakeholders with an outstanding ability to build consensus;
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills;
- Demonstrated ability to manage responsibility with integrity and tact;
- Ability to analyze complex data
- A sense of humor, poise under pressure, and ability and willingness to adapt to current needs;
- Fluency in English required; Spanish / French / Hindi a plus;
- Willingness to take on significant travel within India and to other emerging markets.
- Master’s degree in Design, Business Administration, International Development, Psychology or related fields;
- Minimum 5-7 years’ experience in user experience design or design strategy, including customer behavioral research, ideation, prototyping, and user testing;
- Experience managing end-to-end external and internal projects in non-structured dynamic environments;
- Working knowledge of graphic design software such as Adobe Creative Suite;
- Experience working with low-income populations in emerging markets and/or experience with women’s economic and empowerment issues.
Within the first 75 days:
- Demonstrate your command of the position;
- Build a strong working relationship across functional teams;
- Embrace Women’s World Banking’s core values and desired behaviors;
- Develop an understanding of Women’s World Banking’s business model;
- Get trained on and fully integrate the use of Women’s World Banking systems and policies into your day-to-day activities; and
- Develop a road map to achieve targets and deliverables for the year.
- Cover letter
- Design portfolio
Women’s World Banking is an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status or any other category protected by federal, state or local law.