- About Us
- Research & Insights
- Product Innovation
- Leadership and Diversity
- Our Impact
- Take Action
RFQ: Qualitative Researcher (Individual)
Issued on: November 28, 2017
Proposal due: December 18, 2017
Women’s World Banking is seeking an experienced individual research consultant to support the design and lead the execution of qualitative consumer research on a project basis for partner institutions.
About Women’s World Banking
Women’s World Banking is the global leader in women’s financial inclusion. Rooted in our deep understanding of the women’s market, we tackle financial inclusion in three interconnected ways: first, by partnering with financial service providers to develop scalable market-driven solutions; second, through our gender-lens private equity fund; and, finally, because diverse institutions are proven to be stronger, we build institutional capacity through leadership and diversity programs. Through this holistic approach and our global reach of 49 institutions in 31 countries, we accelerate economic opportunity for low-income women and growth for financial service providers in the emerging markets.
About the Projects
Women’s World Banking, in collaboration with various funders, is working with affiliate financial service providers, such as banks, telecom companies and innovation partners in various markets to develop, expand and diversify the supply of sound financial services. Current initiatives include the expansion of digital financial services in Nigeria and Pakistan; the introduction of micro health insurance in multiple markets; and consumer engagement around formal financial services in India.
Objectives & Responsibilities
The consultant will lead market research efforts for projects similar to those described above. Specifically, the consultant will design and execute qualitative market research in collaboration with Women’s World Banking and the partner institution. The purpose of the research will be to uncover consumer insights that can be used to help the institution drive its strategy. Responsibilities may include:
- Lead or support research design, including articulation of research questions, customer segmentation and alignment on selection criteria, and development of qualitative discussion guides
- Facilitate qualitative research sessions, which may include any combination of focus groups, in-depth interviews, user experience testing, and other formats
- Support or lead analysis of the research: identify relevant insights and make recommendations based on the findings that help the partner institution drive toward results
- Support or lead development and delivery of presentations that concisely summarize insights and actionable recommendations
- In cases where facilitation is shared with a Women’s World Banking team member, transcribe the sessions via real-time, verbatim notes during research sessions that are facilitated by the other team member
The consultant will work with a small team from Women’s World Banking, including staff members and field-based consultants, as well as staff from partner institutions. The consultant will report directly to the Women’s World Banking Research Lead on the project, and work closely with the Project Manager and staff on the project.
Duration of Consultancy
Dependent on the project; duration may range from a week to several months or longer. Typical engagements require one to two weeks in the field, with several days of preparation and post-trip follow up.
Location of Work
Project sites may be in any of the 31 countries where Women’s World Banking has a footprint. Current projects are in South and Southeast Asia, Sub-Saharan Africa, West Africa, MENA, and Latin America. Travel to client sites will be required during the course of the project.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in research design, field-based qualitative research and analysis of research findings, including ability to pull out themes and identify “the story”
- Experience across a range of qualitative methodologies, for example user experience testing, ethnographies as well as focus groups and in-depth interviews
- Experience conducting research among low-income segments, particularly women
- Strong strategic influencing skills: ability to present a case and gain alignment from a diverse team of stakeholders
- Innate intellectual curiosity
- Strong cross-cultural interpersonal skills: ability to connect with people from varied backgrounds and put them at ease
- Fluency in English; fluency in a second language preferred
- Regional expertise in South or Southeast Asia, Sub-Saharan Africa, West Africa, MENA or Latin America a plus
- Ability to type fast (60+ words per minute) a plus
- Ability to develop concise, clear presentations a plus
Please submit the following by December 19, 2017 using the link below:
- Cover letter
- Availability to travel
- Daily rate
Women’s World Banking is an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status or any other category protected by federal, state or local law.