Investing in Women: The Role of Finance in Women’s Empowerment
Date: Wednesday March 12, 2014
Time: 8-9 a.m. PST
Register Now →
Despite significant progress through global commitments to gender equality and women’s empowerment, developed and developing countries still face significant challenges in ensuring the equal treatment of women. Women, as entrepreneurs, leaders, and employees, are an important economic force. By creating opportunities for broader participation of women in the economy, finance can be a critical driver of women’s empowerment.
In this webinar, we will discuss the role of finance in women’s empowerment at three different levels:
Empowerment through investment: Calvert Investments, one of the largest socially responsible investment management companies in the United States, will discuss its Women’s Principles, which have been a catalyst for shareholder dialogue that encourages more diversity at companies.
Empowerment through access: Women’s World Banking will explore its efforts to expand access to financial products for the 1 billion low-income women who are currently unbanked, which benefits both clients and financial institutions.
Empowerment through knowledge: BSR’s HERfinance will discuss its work to build financial capability among low-income women in global supply chains, with the belief that this enables them to invest in nutrition, health, and education, leading to social and economic improvements in their communities and countries.
This webinar is intended for companies across all sectors that are interested in learning about how women’s empowerment is critical for business success.
- Bennett Freeman, Senior Vice President, Sustainability Research and Policy, Calvert Investments
- Mary Ellen Iskenderian, President and CEO, Women’s World Banking
- Chhavi Ghuliani, Manager, Partnership Development and Research, BSR
- Laura Gitman, Managing Director, Advisory Services, BSR (moderator)
* The webinar—open to both BSR members and non-members—will involve a teleconference accompanied by a real-time, internet-based presentation. Telephone and login instructions will be sent after registration.