- About Us
- Research & Insights
- Product Innovation
- Leadership and Diversity
- Our Impact
- Take Action
Title: Research Specialist
Reports to: Research Director
Location: New York, NY
Start Date: Immediately
Women’s World Banking is seeking an experienced research specialist with experience in cognitive behavioral interviewing and cutting-edge methodologies to perform qualitative research in emerging markets.
Perform qualitative research in emerging markets, which may take the form of:
- Developing research plans and instruments
- Interviewing, observation, and other qualitative data gathering methods
- Analyzing qualitative data
- Expertise or a high level of understanding and experience in cognitive behavioral interviewing and cutting-edge methodologies focuses on understanding behavioral barriers to action.
- Provide logistical and methodology support for research efforts, such as collecting and maintaining research metadata, arranging/conducting interviews, managing relationships with clients and consultants, utilizing data analysis tools (e.g. N-Vivo), and managing institutional review board processes when necessary.
- Conduct desk research and literature reviews, utilizing secondary research sources such as market research data to address key research questions and inform our understanding of the community.
- Create research-based publications that advances the knowledge and thought in the field of financial inclusion.
Reporting and communications
- Write emails, memos, and briefs to clearly communicate concepts and processes related to projects with internal and external stakeholders.
- Communicate findings and recommendations via written and oral presentations, slide decks and technical reports to staff and clients at high level meetings internally and externally.
- Coordinate with project managers to track research activities of numerous stakeholders across multiple institutions and propose ideas for process improvement and ensure deadlines are met.
- Develop strong relationships with internal and external partners.
- Assist in selecting appropriate tools and methods to suit projects constrained by timeline and/or budget.
Within the first 75 days:
- Assume full responsibility of the position;
- Embrace Women’s World Banking’s core values and desired behaviors;
- Forge positive working relationships with cross-functional staff;
- Embrace Women’s World Banking’s unique characteristics and offerings;
- Learn and comprehend the Women’s World Banking business model;
- Become trained in and fully integrate the use of Women’s World Banking systems and policies into your day-to-day activities;
- Bachelor’s degree demonstrating some concentration in qualitative social sciences (e.g. Anthropology, Information Studies, Sociology, Women’s Studies) or humanities.
- 3-5 years of relative work experience in high-pressure applied research settings. A preference for candidate with passion for women-centered methodologies and women’s economic empowerment
- One to three years of experience in managing complex projects in international contexts.
- Highly effective communicator with both internal and external stakeholders with an outstanding ability to build consensus.
- Able to properly document, convey and publish research findings to a wide variety of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to translate complex concepts and research data into actionable insights feature compelling storytelling, accessible, well-written reports and engaging presentations.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple assignments concurrently, perform well under pressure, and meet deadlines while ensuring acute attention to detail and accuracy.
- Extensive experience conducting interviews independently as part of research, assessment, or journalism.
- Familiarity with behavioral science methodologies and analysis.
- Superior research, writing, proofreading, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in our open, collaborative, smart and team-oriented culture.
- Some travel required for research, reporting, and representation purposes – approximately 20-30%
- Master’s degree in a social science field with some concentration in qualitative research (e.g. Anthropology, Information Studies, Sociology, Political Science, Women’s Studies).
- Experience with qualitative analysis software (e.g., NVivo, ATLAS.ti)
- Fluency in French, Arabic and/or Hindi is a definite plus
Women’s World Banking is an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status or any other category protected by federal, state or local law. EOE M/F/V/D
We believe in being a force for the greater good, devoted to accelerating and growing the financial inclusion of women. With rapidly changing markets, influenced by technology and social behavioral expectations, we are embarking on a new chapter to transform the way we design and implement solutions.
For more than 35 years, Women’s World Banking has partnered with financial institutions, showing them the benefit of investing in women as customers. We equip these institutions with in-depth research and data driven insights to develop financial products and educational programs. While our clients are financial service providers, our mission is to engage consumers – women who are marginalized by financial systems.