- About Us
- Research & Insights
- Product Innovation
- Leadership and Diversity
- Our Impact
- Take Action
RFQ: MSME Consultant
Issue Date: March 5, 2018
Submission Date: March 26, 2018
Women’s World Banking is seeking an MSME Consultant to advise on the design of financial products and services for the MSME sector with a focus on low-income women entrepreneurs. Projects focus on providing technical assistance to commercial banks and other financial service providers in Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America.
About Women’s World Banking
Women’s World Banking is the global leader in women’s financial inclusion. Rooted in our deep understanding of the women’s market, we tackle financial inclusion in three interconnected ways: first, by partnering with financial services providers to develop scalable market-driven solutions; second, through our gender-lens private equity fund; and, finally, because diverse institutions are proven to be stronger, we build institutional capacity through leadership and diversity programs. Through this holistic approach and our global reach of 49 institutions in 32 countries, we accelerate economic opportunity for low-income women and growth for financial service providers in the emerging markets.
Objectives and Responsibilities
The primary objective of the consultancy is to provide on-site, proactive support to Women’s World Banking’s partner institution(s) in the design and implementation of financial products and services for the MSME segment with a focus on low-income women.
The consultant’s responsibilities may include:
- Participate in the institutional diagnosis of partner institutions to evaluate readiness to implement products and services to serve the diversified MSME sector;
- Contribute to the development of a business strategy for introducing financial products and services to the MSME sector with a gender focus in urban and rural areas;
- Contribute to the design of financial products and services and provide recommendations for pilot implementation with our partner institution(s);
- Conduct pilot preparations with our banking partners including business and marketing plans, MIS readiness, training and key performance indicators;
- Advise partner institution(s) on specific areas as part of the integration of new credit product(s) in line with the bank’s current credit policy, processes and procedures;
- Map value chains to identify participation of women at different stages, as applicable;
- Prepare training guidelines and materials; conduct training of trainers; and provide coaching to partner institution(s) staff;
- Implement and monitor the pilot project via regular field visits; provide inputs for improvement and adjustments;
- Support pilot assessment and development of a roll-out plan;
- Assist in preparations, realization and monitoring of roll-out; and
- Support in marketing plans as appropriate.
The Consultant(s) will be offered a retainer contract for a one-year term. Women’s World Banking may extend this contract at its discretion.
The Consultant may be based remotely but will be required to be available for calls and collaboration with New York-based team members on Eastern Daylight/Standard Time and for regular travel to the respective countries where the projects will be implemented.
- At least 7 years of experience in the MSME sector as consultant and/or as manager of MSME division in a commercial bank;
- Track record of successful project implementation in different areas ranging from Micro and SME lending in urban and rural area;
- Experience in application of technology and credit risk models to increase efficiency and productivity of MSME lending operations;
- Experience in value chain financing;
- Implementation of a relationship model;
- Experience in conducting training on financial services to Head Office and field staff; Work experience in developing countries;
- Ability to manage expenses on a reimbursable basis;
- Ability to work well in teams and meet deadlines in- and out- of-field;
- Track record of meeting project milestones and achieving key performance targets on time;
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, writing skills;
- Ability to travel;
- Fluency in English is required; proficiency in Spanish, French, and/or Portuguese is preferred; and
- Ability to participate in regular update calls and submit regular project reports.
Please submit your application by midnight EST on March 26, 2018.
All applications must include the following:
- cover letter with daily rate
- resume (with qualifications, availability, and details of experience)
Applicants may submit their question(s) in writing to email@example.com. Please include in the e-mail subject line “RFQ – MSME Consultant.”
This RFQ does not guarantee or commit Women’s World Banking to proceeding with the above described work. Due to overwhelming response, not all candidates will be contacted.
Women’s World Banking is an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status or any other category protected by federal, state or local law.
Women’s World Banking will be unable to contract with any individual who is US citizen or resident without an LLC or LP or similar structure.
Q: Is this contract open to non US citizens & non US residents?
A: Yes, this position is open to non-US citizens & non-US residents.
Q: In this statement, “Women’s World Banking will be unable to contract with any individual who is US citizen or resident without an LLC or LP or similar structure,” do you mean that if the individual is a US citizen then they must also have registered themselves as an LLC or LP? Does this also apply to candidates of other nationalities?
A: Yes, this is the correct interpretation. No, this does not apply to individuals who are not US citizens or US residents.